- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal coy on Javier Hernandez future
- Arsenal transfers: Serge Aurier confirms Gunners approach
Ex-Newcastle defender fears Magpies will struggle this season
Steve Howey admits he is concerned that Newcastle United could struggle this season because of their lack of spending
Steve Howey admits he is concerned that Newcastle United could struggle this season because of their lack of spending during the transfer window.
Despite only just escaping relegation last season and being linked with a number of players during the summer, the Magpies have only brought in Loïc Rémy on a season-long loan from QPR and 16-year-old Olivier Kemen.
And Howey, who made 191 league appearances for Newcastle between 1989 and 2000, fears Alan Pardew’s men are going to struggle in the top flight again this season with their current squad.
“Last season they struggled because the squad wasn’t strong enough and because of the lack of signings during the summer I think they are going to struggle again this season,” Howey told talkSPORT.
“They have got some very good players there but I think they are going to struggle.”
Howey added: “He [Newcastle director of football Joe Kinnear] has been brought in to do a job and, at this particular moment, he hasn’t done it. That is why I, and a lot of fans, feel sorry for the manager. His hands are tied.
“He [Pardew] can only work with what he has got. They are good players but he would say it would be nice to have that strength in depth and they haven’t got that.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Podolski urges Khedira to join Arsenal
- Vidal 'will join Man Utd next month'
- Aurier confirms Arsenal approach
- Cavani won't rule out PSG exit
- Fàbregas: I'll shine with Torres for Chelsea