- Roger Federer: fanning the flames in both victory or defeat
- Sampras & Agassi reminisce on old rivalry: ‘He was the best I ever played’
- Wimbledon 2014: Age no barrier for Federer against ‘young gun’ Raonic
- Wimbledon 2014: Order of play for Monday 30 June
- The complex ATP ranking system explained
- Wilshere, Roddick and more: Twitter reacts as Djokovic wins Wimbledon
US Open 2013: Azarenka’s relief after fighting back to beat Cornet
US Open 2013: World No2 Victoria Azarenka survives a scare against Alize Cornet to reach the fourth round at Flushing Meadows
Victoria Azarenka admitted her relief after fighting back from a set down against 26th seed Alize Cornet to reach the fourth round of the US Open.
France’s Cornet claimed the first set on a tie-break before Azarenka recovered to secure a 6-7 (2-7) 6-3 6-2 and set up a fourth-round clash against Ana Ivanovic.
“I don’t think I played my best tennis today for sure, but I have to give her credit,” said world No2 Azarenka. “She played really well.
“The dynamic of the match was a little bit weird for me. I felt like I didn’t take my opportunities in the first set, which was kind of a waste, and it gave her a lot of confidence. She really came up with the great shots when she needed with the big serves.
“I actually have never seen her serve like that before, so that’s definitely a big improvement from her side.”
The 24-year-old added: “I’m glad that I could turn things around in the second and third set. There was more me playing, more finding the rhythm. I felt much better in the third set than in the first set. It’s pretty good, so I’m happy with that.”
Elsewhere in the women’s draw, Petra Kvitova, suffering with a fever, lost to world No81 Alison Riske 6-3 6-0 in just 65 minutes.
And Caroline Wozniacki stuttered to her fourth loss of the year to a player ranked outside the top 100 as qualifier Camilia Giorgi advanced to the last 16 with a 4-6 6-4 6-3 win.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Williams going through 'difficult period'
- ATP World Tour Finals 2014: Tickets and information
- Djokovic marries his childhood sweetheart
- US Open prize money increases to $38.3m
- Nadal qualifies for World Tour Finals