- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Man Utd transfers: Thomas Müller confirms Red Devils snub
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
Arsenal transfers: Thomas Vermaelen prepared to weigh up January exit
Arsenal transfers: Thomas Vermaelen hints he may have to weigh up his Gunners future in the January transfer window
Thomas Vermaelen has admitted he may have to weigh up his Arsenal future in the January transfer window.
The Belgium international has spent three months on the sidelines after aggravating a back injury in pre-season but played 120 minutes in September’s League Cup win over West Bromwich.
Vermanelen fell out-of-favour at The Emirates in the final months of the 2012/13 campaign after an inconsistent season, and Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny are currently the club’s first-choice centre-half pairing.
The 27-year-old insists he is not thinking about leaving the north London side at the moment, but conceded such a possibility could become a reality in the next transfer window.
“I’ll have to think about that when it’s necessary,” Vermaelen is quoted as saying by the Daily Express. “January is still a few months ahead.
“I have spoken to the manager but it will remain private between us. Things can happen in a split second and change my situation. That can happen tomorrow or next weekend. In that case, we will speak differently in January. I have to be ready for that.”
Vermaelen has scored 15 goals and made five assists in 132 appearances in all competitions for the Gunners after a £8m move to Arsenal from Ajax in 2009.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Seven players who could rescue Man Utd
- Van Persie 'looking forward' to Man Utd return
- No Destra-Torres swap deal, says agent
- VIDEO: Mourinho completes Ice Bucket Challenge
- Balotelli set to complete Liverpool move