- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
Arsène Wenger: Olivier Giroud and Karim Benzema can play together
Arsène Wenger insists that Olivier Giroud and Karim Benzema can forge a successful partnership for France in games to come
Arsène Wenger insists that Olivier Giroud and Karim Benzema can forge a successful partnership for France amid reports linking Arsenal with a swoop for the Real Madrid striker.
Benzema and Giroud have started just one game together for Les Blues in 2013, and the in-form Giroud is set to play as a lone striker in Friday’s friendly with Australia.
But Wenger believes that the pair can still strike up a successful partnership, fuelling speculation that the north London club could target Benzema in the January transfer window.
“As for whether Olivier Giroud and Karim Benzema can play together, they can, yes,” Wenger wrote on his blog on Eurosport. “But up until now, their partnership hasn’t worked so they must find another way.
“It’s always hard. But you must have guys who are giving good assists as well as guys who can score.
“Right now, those who fail to score are always being singled out. But a question must be answered: do we have enough guys giving good assists? I think France are lacking something in this regard.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: What Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Man Utd unveil £14m signing Blind
- Blind great addition, says Van Gaal
- Blind revels in dream move to Man Utd
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck