- Max Chilton: A Formula 1 pay driver or a sponsorship gold mine?
- Chinese Grand Prix 2012: Full race result from Shanghai
- Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,000
- Laureus Awards 2014: Vettel, Nadal, Bayern Munich, Franklin win honours
- Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories
- Malaysian Grand Prix 2013: Picture special as Vettel grabs victory
Japanese Grand Prix 2013: Red Bull’s Webber on pole ahead of Vettel
Japanese Grand Prix 2013: Mark Webber beats Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel to pole position, with Lewis Hamilton third
World title hopeful Sebastian Vettel will start behind Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber at Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.
Vettel, who could clinch a fourth consecutive drivers’ title this weekend, suffered a Kers power-boost system failure, which proved decisive in his battle for a career 43rd pole position.
Lewis Hamilton will start from third on the grid, just ahead of Lotus’s Romain Grosjean.
He needs to maintain or better that position in tomorrow’s race to keep the title alive, should Vettel win his 35th Grand Prix.
“It’s a great track and we all love driving here. The laps weren’t too bad but you always want a little bit more. It was pretty good,” said Webber, who is quitting F1 this season to switch to driving a Porsche in the endurance racing circuit.
“Sebastian had a problem so a little bit of a hollow result. But happy to be on pole and you’ve got to grab the opportunity when you can.”
Vettel though refused to blame technology for his performance – insisting he was confident all would come good on Sunday.
“The car was phenomenal and you don’t get many days like that when the car feels great and you can really push it to the limit,” he said.
“We did have a problem but I am not a big fan of this, ‘without this, with this’, it is always an unknown.”
Alonso also insisted he had no complaints about his display, in a qualifying session dedicated to the memory of fellow Spaniard and Formula 1 reserve racing driver Maria De Villota – who died from natural causes in Seville on Friday.
“Yesterday was a shock, we do practice, you take the helmet off and they tell you this terrible news, you never expect this, especially with her she fought so much this last year and she was full of life,” he said.
“I’m not surprised with my position, it’s not been a good week but I need to do better in the race obviously.
“I was more or less I was eighth, ninth all weekend so it is not unexpected.”
Japanese Grand Prix 2013: Qualifying times
1. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 30.915s
2. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 31.089s
3.. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 31.253s
4. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 31.365s
5. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 31.378s
6. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 31.397s
7. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 31.644s
8. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 31.665s
9. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Lotus-Renault 1m 31.684s
11. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 31.989s
12. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 31.992s
13. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 32.013s
14. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 32.063s
15. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 32.093s
16. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 32.485s
17. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 32.890s*
18. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 33.357s
19. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 34.320s
20. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 34.556s**
21. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 34.879s
22. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 34.958s**
* denotes driver due to take five-place penalty
** denotes driver due to take ten-place penalty
Read more on...
Lewis Hamilton storms past rivals to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year1 month ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel: I’m not running away from Red Bull4 months ago Formula 1
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso: I have power over my F1 future4 months ago Formula 1
Brundle, Glock and more: Twitter reacts to Vettel’s Red Bull departure4 months ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel set to swap Red Bull for Ferrari4 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen: I drove ‘within limits’ on my Formula 1 debut4 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories5 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’5 months ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award5 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium5 months ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0005 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg5 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole5 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton5 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost5 months ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles5 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish6 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole6 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe6 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix6 months ago Formula 1