- Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’
- Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,000
- Chinese Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton aims for third win
- Why Lewis Hamilton is likely to regret his move to Mercedes
- Bahrain Grand Prix 2013: Delighted Nico Rosberg predicts tough test
- Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories
Japanese Grand Prix 2013: Red Bull’s Webber on pole ahead of Vettel
Japanese Grand Prix 2013: Mark Webber beats Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel to pole position, with Lewis Hamilton third
World title hopeful Sebastian Vettel will start behind Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber at Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.
Vettel, who could clinch a fourth consecutive drivers’ title this weekend, suffered a Kers power-boost system failure, which proved decisive in his battle for a career 43rd pole position.
Lewis Hamilton will start from third on the grid, just ahead of Lotus’s Romain Grosjean.
He needs to maintain or better that position in tomorrow’s race to keep the title alive, should Vettel win his 35th Grand Prix.
“It’s a great track and we all love driving here. The laps weren’t too bad but you always want a little bit more. It was pretty good,” said Webber, who is quitting F1 this season to switch to driving a Porsche in the endurance racing circuit.
“Sebastian had a problem so a little bit of a hollow result. But happy to be on pole and you’ve got to grab the opportunity when you can.”
Vettel though refused to blame technology for his performance – insisting he was confident all would come good on Sunday.
“The car was phenomenal and you don’t get many days like that when the car feels great and you can really push it to the limit,” he said.
“We did have a problem but I am not a big fan of this, ‘without this, with this’, it is always an unknown.”
Alonso also insisted he had no complaints about his display, in a qualifying session dedicated to the memory of fellow Spaniard and Formula 1 reserve racing driver Maria De Villota – who died from natural causes in Seville on Friday.
“Yesterday was a shock, we do practice, you take the helmet off and they tell you this terrible news, you never expect this, especially with her she fought so much this last year and she was full of life,” he said.
“I’m not surprised with my position, it’s not been a good week but I need to do better in the race obviously.
“I was more or less I was eighth, ninth all weekend so it is not unexpected.”
Japanese Grand Prix 2013: Qualifying times
1. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 30.915s
2. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 31.089s
3.. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 31.253s
4. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 31.365s
5. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 31.378s
6. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 31.397s
7. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 31.644s
8. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 31.665s
9. Kimi Räikkönen Finland Lotus-Renault 1m 31.684s
11. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 31.989s
12. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 31.992s
13. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 32.013s
14. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 32.063s
15. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 32.093s
16. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 32.485s
17. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 32.890s*
18. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 33.357s
19. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 34.320s
20. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 34.556s**
21. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 34.879s
22. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 34.958s**
* denotes driver due to take five-place penalty
** denotes driver due to take ten-place penalty
Read more on...
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories2 weeks ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’2 weeks ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award3 weeks ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium3 weeks ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0003 weeks ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg4 weeks ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole4 weeks ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton4 weeks ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost1 month ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles1 month ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish2 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole2 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton vows to race through pain after German Grand Prix crash2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: No mind games with Nico Rosberg in F1 title race2 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg signs new ‘multi-year’ Mercedes deal2 months ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel: Red Bull must close the gap to Mercedes2 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg tells Lewis Hamilton: I’m 100% German2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton entering ‘attack mode’ in Formula 1 title race3 months ago Formula 1