- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Barkley, Neville & more: Twitter reacts as Chelsea man nears Everton move
Mesut Özil vows to help Arsenal end wait for a trophy
Mesut Ozil declares his desire to help Arsenal end their eight-year wait for a major trophy this season
Mesut Özil has declared his desire to help Arsenal end their eight-year wait for a major trophy this season.
The north London side have not lifted a trophy since their FA Cup success back in 2005, but Özil, who turned 25 on Tuesday, is confident his new club’s luck is about to change.
“In the last few years, Arsenal haven’t been so successful but we want to change that,” Özil told Arsenal’s website. “We want to win trophies, and I think the fans are looking forward to that too.
“We have a very strong and a very young team that can improve a lot under the manager. I think we will win trophies because we have the potential to do so.”
Germany international Özil also believes that his style of play will fit in well to Arsenal’s attacking philosophy.
“Arsenal are one of the technically strongest teams in the world,” he said, “The manager always wants to play attractive and attacking football. I think I fit into that because I enjoy playing quickly – that ‘one-touch football’.
“I’m happy to be part of the club and I hope I can help the team. I feel honoured to be here and I hope that we can have a very successful time together.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- 'Everton should have given Lukaku No9 shirt'
- Vidal is a Juve player, insists Marotta
- Hernández thanks Inter for interest
- Williams wants Swansea to keep Bony
- Van Gaal: Man Utd making big steps