- Man Utd transfers: Seven players who could rescue the Red Devils
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Liverpool transfers: Mario Balotelli a bargain at £16m, says Harry Redknapp
- Photos: Robin van Persie & Wayne Rooney all smiles at Man Utd training
- Transfer round-up: Reus in talks with Arsenal, Tottenham to sign Fazio
Mesut Özil vows to help Arsenal end wait for a trophy
Mesut Ozil declares his desire to help Arsenal end their eight-year wait for a major trophy this season
Mesut Özil has declared his desire to help Arsenal end their eight-year wait for a major trophy this season.
The north London side have not lifted a trophy since their FA Cup success back in 2005, but Özil, who turned 25 on Tuesday, is confident his new club’s luck is about to change.
“In the last few years, Arsenal haven’t been so successful but we want to change that,” Özil told Arsenal’s website. “We want to win trophies, and I think the fans are looking forward to that too.
“We have a very strong and a very young team that can improve a lot under the manager. I think we will win trophies because we have the potential to do so.”
Germany international Özil also believes that his style of play will fit in well to Arsenal’s attacking philosophy.
“Arsenal are one of the technically strongest teams in the world,” he said, “The manager always wants to play attractive and attacking football. I think I fit into that because I enjoy playing quickly – that ‘one-touch football’.
“I’m happy to be part of the club and I hope I can help the team. I feel honoured to be here and I hope that we can have a very successful time together.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: Arsenal train ahead of Everton trip
- Debuchy hails Arsenal's 'amazing' squad
- Mourinho wishes Balotelli well
- Mourinho: Cech must wait for his chance
- 'Multiple clubs interested in Ibe loan deal'