- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
Mesut Özil vows to help Arsenal end wait for a trophy
Mesut Ozil declares his desire to help Arsenal end their eight-year wait for a major trophy this season
Mesut Özil has declared his desire to help Arsenal end their eight-year wait for a major trophy this season.
The north London side have not lifted a trophy since their FA Cup success back in 2005, but Özil, who turned 25 on Tuesday, is confident his new club’s luck is about to change.
“In the last few years, Arsenal haven’t been so successful but we want to change that,” Özil told Arsenal’s website. “We want to win trophies, and I think the fans are looking forward to that too.
“We have a very strong and a very young team that can improve a lot under the manager. I think we will win trophies because we have the potential to do so.”
Germany international Özil also believes that his style of play will fit in well to Arsenal’s attacking philosophy.
“Arsenal are one of the technically strongest teams in the world,” he said, “The manager always wants to play attractive and attacking football. I think I fit into that because I enjoy playing quickly – that ‘one-touch football’.
“I’m happy to be part of the club and I hope I can help the team. I feel honoured to be here and I hope that we can have a very successful time together.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck