- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
Zinedine Zidane: Sir Alex Ferguson’s Steven Gerrard remarks ‘very strange’
Real Madrid legend Zinedine Zidane says Sir Alex Ferguson's Steven Gerrard's comments are "very strange"
Zinedine Zidane has described Sir Alex Ferguson’s comments about Steven Gerrard as “very strange” – and said he used to rate the Liverpool captain as the best midfielder in the world.
The Manchester United legend described the Reds captain as not a “top, top player” in the 71-year-old’s recently released autobiography despite previously trying to sign Gerrard.
And Real Madrid legend Zidane believes every top European club would have broken the transfer record to sign the England skipper, who recently scored his 100th top-flight goal, four or five years ago.
“For two or three years, Steven Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world,” the Daily Mirror quotes Zidane as saying. “Even now he is playing at a high level for -Liverpool and England.
“Gerrard has been loyal to Liverpool throughout his career – which is great for them – but if he had wanted to leave four or five years ago then every top club in Europe would have tried to sign him and they would have probably had to break the transfer record to do it.
“Alex Ferguson is obviously one of the most successful coaches the game has ever had, but I did find his comments about Steven Gerrard very strange. To say he is not a top player is wrong.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck