- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
Chelsea transfers: Luke Shaw not for sale, insists Mauricio Pochettino
Chelsea transfers: Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino insists Luke Shaw is not for sale this January
Mauricio Pochettino insists Southampton defender Luke Shaw is not for sale in January amid interest from Chelsea.
The England Under-21 international has been a vital cog in Southampton’s impressive defence this season, making 14 Premier League appearances.
The player wants to stay, the club is not willing to sell
Chelsea boss José Mourinho has been playing Cesar Azpilicueta in an unorthodox left-back role due to Ashley Cole’s loss of form and injuries.
But Saints boss Pochettino was emphatic in his stance that Shaw won’t be allowed to leave the south coach club in the January transfer window.
“It is a very clear situation. The player wants to stay, the club is not willing to sell,” Pochettino said.
The Argentine added: “What we also need to consider is that he is an 18-year-old player, that he is still maturing, still progressing. He is still learning how to be an experienced player.
“We need to be very calm about the situation. It has taken him some time to mature as a player and I think all these rumours and all this speculation around him is not beneficial for him. I think it is negative for him.”
The 18-year-old has made 41 Southampton appearances since making his debut in a 1-1 draw with Millwall in the FA Cup in January 2012.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- All of today's football transfer gossip
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd