- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
Chelsea transfers: Luke Shaw not for sale, insists Mauricio Pochettino
Chelsea transfers: Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino insists Luke Shaw is not for sale this January
Mauricio Pochettino insists Southampton defender Luke Shaw is not for sale in January amid interest from Chelsea.
The England Under-21 international has been a vital cog in Southampton’s impressive defence this season, making 14 Premier League appearances.
The player wants to stay, the club is not willing to sell
Chelsea boss José Mourinho has been playing Cesar Azpilicueta in an unorthodox left-back role due to Ashley Cole’s loss of form and injuries.
But Saints boss Pochettino was emphatic in his stance that Shaw won’t be allowed to leave the south coach club in the January transfer window.
“It is a very clear situation. The player wants to stay, the club is not willing to sell,” Pochettino said.
The Argentine added: “What we also need to consider is that he is an 18-year-old player, that he is still maturing, still progressing. He is still learning how to be an experienced player.
“We need to be very calm about the situation. It has taken him some time to mature as a player and I think all these rumours and all this speculation around him is not beneficial for him. I think it is negative for him.”
The 18-year-old has made 41 Southampton appearances since making his debut in a 1-1 draw with Millwall in the FA Cup in January 2012.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- I'll prove my worth at West Ham, vows Jenkinson
- Three reasons why Vidal should join Man Utd
- Markovic stars as Liverpool beat Man City
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings