- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Arsenal transfers: Wenger gives update on Draxler and Berbatov
Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger insists that the Gunners are not close to singing any new players
Arsène Wenger has insisted that Arsenal are not close to signing any new players this month, despite the mounting speculation linking Julian Draxler and Dimitar Berbatov with moves to the club.
Schalke playmaker Draxler has been heavily linked with a switch to Emirates Stadium in recent days, while Fulham striker Berbatov has been touted as the man to fill in up front for the Gunners.
Are we close to signing anybody? At the moment I would say no
But Wenger, whose side host Fulham on Saturday, has revealed that the north Londoners are not close to concluding any deals.
“I am curious as well, of course I’m curious, it’s my nature,” said Wenger. “But the transfer period lasts until 31 January. Are we close to signing anybody? At the moment I would say no.”
Asked about Berbatov, Wenger replied: “You should ask the question, do I rate Berbatov as player? Highly. Have we made any approach to sign Berbatov? No.
“I don’t think [we will bid for Berbatov] because we have [Nicklas] Bendtner who is coming back, we have Yaya Sanogo who is making very good progress in training.
“Of course we have lost Theo Walcott and that for us was a big blow but hopefully we can compensate. We have not made any approach.”
And when questioned if a deal is close for Draxler amid reports the 20-year-old was spotted at Arsenal’s training ground this week, Wenger said: “No. That’s like a unidentified flying object. Some see them everywhere.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers