- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen sings Olivier Giroud’s praises
Thomas Vermaelen singles out Oliver Giroud for special praise ahead of Arsenal's clash with Fulham on Saturday
Thomas Vermaelen has singled out Oliver Giroud for special praise ahead of Arsenal’s clash with Fulham on Saturday.
The France striker has been in solid form for the Gunners so far this season, scoring nine goals and making five assists in the Premier League.
It’s good to know that there is somebody up front who you can play a long ball to and he will hold it for you
And defender Vermaelen believes that the 27-year-old’s hold-up play is a vital asset for Arsène Wenger’s side.
“He is very important because he can hold the ball really well, he’s a very strong player physically and can score goals as well,” Vermaelen told Arsenal Player.
“When you’re under pressure sometimes it’s good to know that there is somebody up front who you can play a long ball to and he will hold it for you. Then we can move up as a team.”
Vermaelen is currently sidelines with a knee injury and is set to miss Saturday’s clash against the Cottagers.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Ferdinand: Man Utd can still attract top players
- Twitter reacts after Falcao joins Man Utd
- Twitter reacts after Welbeck joins Arsenal
- Big wins for Aberdeen and Dundee
- Phelan: Welbeck exit has 'broken' Man Utd's identity