- Hard road of US Open Series has familiar ring—but also fresh promise
- Roger Federer: fanning the flames in both victory or defeat
- Photos: Novak Djokovic marries Jelena Ristic
- Sampras & Agassi reminisce on old rivalry: ‘He was the best I ever played’
- US Open 2014: Li Na pulls out of Flushing Meadows
- New No1 Novak Djokovic will defend double victory at ATP World Tour Finals
Australian Open 2014: Watson beats Falconi to reach main draw
Heather Watson secures her place in the main draw at the Australian Open with a win over American Irina Falconi
Heather Watson admitted to surviving a potentially confidence damaging defeat as she made it through qualifying and into the main draw of the Australian Open in Melbourne.
Watson, who reached the third round Down Under last year before suffering an illness-hit 2013, defeated Irina Falconi of America 6-4, 7-6 in the third and final round of qualifying.
I’ve just got over that first hurdle and there’s a long way to go yet
And Watson revealed the extent to which she would have been devastated had she not progressed out of qualifying and booked a clash against the Slovakian No.31 seed.
“It would have been the end of the world if I didn’t get through,” said Watson. “I’m very happy that I am through but this is where it starts.
“I’ve just got over that first hurdle and there’s a long way to go yet. It was a very tricky match. She’s not you’re usual WTA player.
“She slices a lot, she’s got good hands, good touch, she’s not the overpowering type.
“I was prepared for it but I was torn between, ‘Do I go for it, or do I make her play?’
“I was finding it difficult to find the balance but I held my nerve at the end, at the very end.
“I got a bit nervous closing it out but it’s last round of qualifying; there’s a lot on that match.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Hard road of US Open Series has familiar ring
- Li pulls out of US Open due to knee problem
- Williams going through 'difficult period'
- ATP World Tour Finals 2014: Tickets and information
- Djokovic marries his childhood sweetheart