- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Vertonghen & more: Twitter reacts as Dawson swaps Tottenham for Hull
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Rooney, Lineker & more: Twitter reacts as Di Maria completes Man Utd move
Liverpool don’t have squad to compete for title, claims John Barnes
John Barnes believes Liverpool don't have sufficient squad strength to compete for the Premier League title this season
Liverpool don’t have sufficient squad depth to challenge for the Premier League title this season, according to John Barnes.
The Reds are currently in fourth place and seven points behind league leaders Chelsea, although the Blues have played one game more than the Merseyside outfit.
If they can keep their best 13 fit, then they’ve got a title challenge
Whilst Brendan Rodgers has maintained the club’s aim is to secure a top-four finish this season, the Reds have been touted as potential top-flight crown contenders.
However, Liverpool legend Barnes, who won two championships with the Reds in 1988 and 1990, believes the Reds are over-reliant on their best 13 players.
“If they can keep their best 13 fit, then they’ve got a title challenge,” Barnes told FootballFancast.com.
“But history has shown over the last 25 years that that doesn’t happen. Players will lose form.
“Luis Suárez will not continue to score two goals every game like he has done.
“And what happens then? Do they have other players to supplement him? Can they continue to win matches and to sustain that level of performance if Suárez all of a sudden loses form?
“Or if a key player gets injured? The answer is ‘no’.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Wenger open to further Arsenal signings
- Giroud ruled out until December
- PHOTOS: Sánchez fires Arsenal into group stage
- Man Utd are a joke! Carragher makes Twitter dig