- I wouldn’t sign Liverpool target Mario Balotelli for free, says ex-Man Utd star
- Transfer round-up: Song in £10m Arsenal return, Man Utd bid for Vidal
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at further signings
- Photos: Özil and Mertesacker train as Arsenal gear up for Everton
- Liverpool transfers: Mario Balotelli a bargain at £16m, says Harry Redknapp
- Transfer round-up: Reus in talks with Arsenal, Tottenham to sign Fazio
Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet needs protection, says John Aldridge
Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet needs his defenders to offer more protection, according to John Aldridge
Simon Mignolet needs Liverpool’s defence to offer more protection to help him get through a sticky patch, according to ex-Reds striker John Aldridge.
The Belgium international has been widely hailed as an astute signing since the 25-year-old completed a £9m switch from Sunderland in the summer transfer window.
On Sunday I was more concerned with how his back four left Mignolet exposed
Mignolet made an impressive start to his Liverpool career, saving a penalty on his debut and securing three successive clean sheets in the Premier League.
However the Belgian No2 has conceded 16 goals in his last 10 top-flight outings – and Aldridge feels the Reds defenders aren’t doing enough to protect their goalkeeper.
“Simon Mignolet has made a few errors recently but he has been a really good buy for Liverpool,” Aldridge wrote in his Liverpool Echo column.
“Maybe that mistake against Man City has been playing on his mind a little bit but everyone is right behind him and I’m sure he will come through this period.
“The keeper should have done better with Stoke’s third goal, but overall on Sunday I was more concerned with how his back four left Mignolet exposed.
“Full-backs are there to stop crosses coming in but we allowed far too many balls to come into our box.
“And with these balls they use now, you can’t just allow someone to shoot from 25 yards because they fly in.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Get 10/1 on Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs to win!
- Cattermole: Sunderland not afraid of Man Utd
- Pochettino: Remy a very good player
- Jones: Lovren can fill Carragher's void
- 'Balotelli can't be allowed to jeopardise Liverpool spirit'