- Roger Federer: fanning the flames in both victory or defeat
- Photos: Novak Djokovic marries Jelena Ristic
- Wimbledon 2014: Devastating Kvitova ends Bouchard dream to win 2nd title
- Rally for Bally: One year on, Andy Murray again plays for friend & charity
- ATP World Tour Finals 2014: Rafael Nadal seals 10th chance for first title
- Serena Williams going through ‘difficult period’
Serena Williams to face Maria Sharapova in Brisbane semi-finals
Maria Sharapova will take on world No1 Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Friday
Maria Sharapova will take on world No1 Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Friday as she continues her comeback from a shoulder injury.
The 26-year-old was forced to end her 2013 season in August due to the problem but beat Estonia’s Kaia Kanepi 4-6 6-3 6-2 to reach the last four.
Top seed Williams, meanwhile, overcame ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova 6-3 6-3 in her quarter-final.
“I think I got to win a few times in order to call it rivalry,” said Sharapova when asked about the prospect of facing Williams.
“I haven’t had a lot of success against her in the past.
“It’s the first tournament of the year. I came here wanting to play as many matches as I could and obviously wanting to play the best.”
Jelena Jankovic will take on Victoria Azarenka in the other semi-final after the Serb overcame Angelique Kerber 6-7(8) 6-3 6-1. Second seed Azarenka, meanwhile, battled past Stefanie Voegele 6-4 6-7(7) 6-1.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Williams going through 'difficult period'
- ATP World Tour Finals 2014: Tickets and information
- Djokovic marries his childhood sweetheart
- US Open prize money increases to $38.3m
- Nadal qualifies for World Tour Finals