- US Open 2014: Victoria Azarenka sings happy birthday to Gael Monfils
- Make it quick! Wozniacki asks Federer for swift US Open fourth-round win
- US Open 2014: Grigor Dimitrov braced for tough Gael Monfils test
- US Open 2014: Roger Federer and New York storm into fourth round
- US Open 2014: Murray and Djokovic race to re-run of classic 2012 final
- US Open 2014: Swiss hits & misses for Federer & Wawrinka, Hingis & Bencic
Serena Williams to face Maria Sharapova in Brisbane semi-finals
Maria Sharapova will take on world No1 Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Friday
Maria Sharapova will take on world No1 Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Friday as she continues her comeback from a shoulder injury.
The 26-year-old was forced to end her 2013 season in August due to the problem but beat Estonia’s Kaia Kanepi 4-6 6-3 6-2 to reach the last four.
Top seed Williams, meanwhile, overcame ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova 6-3 6-3 in her quarter-final.
“I think I got to win a few times in order to call it rivalry,” said Sharapova when asked about the prospect of facing Williams.
“I haven’t had a lot of success against her in the past.
“It’s the first tournament of the year. I came here wanting to play as many matches as I could and obviously wanting to play the best.”
Jelena Jankovic will take on Victoria Azarenka in the other semi-final after the Serb overcame Angelique Kerber 6-7(8) 6-3 6-1. Second seed Azarenka, meanwhile, battled past Stefanie Voegele 6-4 6-7(7) 6-1.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Swiss hits & misses for Hingis & Bencic
- Nishikori enters record books after Raonic battle
- VIDEO: Azarenka sings happy birthday to Monfils
- Williams 'excited' after reaching last eight
- Murray races to re-run of classic 2012 Djokovic final