- US Open 2014: Djokovic & Federer top seeds, Dimitrov makes top-8 debut
- US Open 2014: Serena Williams heads women’s singles seeds
- Roger Federer at 33: It’s not about the records, it’s the emotions
- Cincinnati Masters: Fearsome Federer cuts down Ferrer again for 80th title
- US Open 2014: Rafael Nadal to miss Flushing Meadows due to wrist injury
- WTA Cincinnati 2014: Serena Williams beats Ana Ivanovic to title
Serena Williams to face Maria Sharapova in Brisbane semi-finals
Maria Sharapova will take on world No1 Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Friday
Maria Sharapova will take on world No1 Serena Williams in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Friday as she continues her comeback from a shoulder injury.
The 26-year-old was forced to end her 2013 season in August due to the problem but beat Estonia’s Kaia Kanepi 4-6 6-3 6-2 to reach the last four.
Top seed Williams, meanwhile, overcame ninth seed Dominika Cibulkova 6-3 6-3 in her quarter-final.
“I think I got to win a few times in order to call it rivalry,” said Sharapova when asked about the prospect of facing Williams.
“I haven’t had a lot of success against her in the past.
“It’s the first tournament of the year. I came here wanting to play as many matches as I could and obviously wanting to play the best.”
Jelena Jankovic will take on Victoria Azarenka in the other semi-final after the Serb overcame Angelique Kerber 6-7(8) 6-3 6-1. Second seed Azarenka, meanwhile, battled past Stefanie Voegele 6-4 6-7(7) 6-1.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Williams is top seed at US Open
- Djokovic top seed at US Open ahead of Federer
- Federer secures his place at ATP World Tour Finals
- Nadal to miss US Open due to injury
- Williams beats Ivanovic to Cincinnati title