- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
‘Sir Alex Ferguson made a mistake letting Paul Pogba leave Man Utd’
Real Madrid legend Zinedine Zidane believes Paul Pogba was good enough to replace Paul Scholes at Manchester United
Zinedine Zidane believes Sir Alex Ferguson made a “mistake” allowing Paul Pogba to quit Manchester United for Juventus – insisting the midfielder was Paul Scholes’ natural successor.
The France international left the Reds Devils on a free transfer to join Juve in the summer of 2012 after Ferguson refused to match the playmaker’s £20,000-a-week wage demands and guarantee the youngster regular first-team football.
He was the natural successor to Paul Scholes
The 20-year-old has blossomed at Juventus since his controversial move, helping the Turin outfit claim the Serie A title last season, whilst scoring five goals in 20 appearances this term.
And Pogba’s compatriot Zidane, who spent four seasons at Juve, felt Ferguson made a rare mistake when he failed to prevent the Frenchman leaving United.
Zidane told the Sunday Mirror: “The word ‘mistake’ is not something you would normally associate with Alex Ferguson’s time at Manchester United.
“But I do think it was a mistake letting Paul Pogba leave.
“He will go on to be one of the best central midfield players in Europe and he was the natural successor to Paul Scholes, someone they could have built the team around.”
“He is with Juventus and doing very well but, as always, Real Madrid will be looking to add the best players in the world,” Zidane added.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd
- Herrera: My Man Utd debut was a dream