Hamilton managed to recover from a suspension problem that had cut short his first session to beat the Spaniard by 0.141 seconds, with Nico Rosberg third, 0.411 seconds behind the Briton.
Red Bull duo Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel fourth and fifth, ahead of Williams’ Felipe Massa, Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren’s Jenson Button, and Lotus’ Romain Grosjean.
Rosberg insisted that he was pleased with the session and said Mercedes are in confident mood heading into Sunday’s race.
“I’m pleased with that, but there’s still a lot of work to do,” said Rosberg. “We have a great car and expect to win the race here.
“To battle for the win will be a great challenge and I look forward to it. It’s been a great start to the weekend and I like this track. It’s a great feeling to be so fast.”
1. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 38.315s
2. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 38.456s
3. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 38.726s
4. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 38.811s
5. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 39.015s
6. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1m 39.118s
7. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 39.283s
8. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 39.491s
9. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 39.537s
10. Daniil Kvyat Russia Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 39.648s
11. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 39.736s
12. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes 1m 39.744s
13. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 39.759s
14. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1m 39.830s
15. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1m 40.124s
16. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 40.359s
17. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 40.395s
18. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault 1m 40.455s
19. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari 1m 42.327s
20. Max Chilton Briton Marussia-Ferrari 1m 43.473s
21. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Caterham-Renault 1m 43.530s
22. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1m 43.679s
MORE: The latest football news
MORE: The latest tennis news