The Merseyside outfit beat AC Milan on 3-2 on penalties after Rafael Benitez’s side came from 3-0 behind to force extra-time and a shootout.
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, retired Czech Republic international Vladimir Smicer and Bayern Munich midfielder Xabi Alonso all scored against the Serie A giants to overturn a three-goal deficit.
Here is a selection of 10 photos from one of the greatest Champions League finals.
1. Hernan Crespo and Andrea Pirlo celebrate with Paolo Maldini after the AC Milan captain breaks the deadlock inside 120 seconds.
2. Jamie Carragher’s desperate lunge can’t prevent Crespo from doubling Milan’s lead on the night.
3. Soaring: Crespo adds a delicious third as the Argentine lifts his final over a helpless Jerzy Dudek.
4. Gerrard searches for Liverpool’s dignity on the Ataturk pitch after a humiliating first half.
5. ‘Hello! Hello! Here we go! Steven Gerrard puts a grain of doubt in the back of Milan minds.’
6. Czech it out: Smicer fires a long-range strike to score Liverpool’s second goal in three minutes.
7. Guilty Gattuso: The AC Milan midfielder concedes a penalty after the midfielder catches Gerrard.
8. Alonso aghast: The Liverpool midfielder reacts as Dida saves his penalty, but the Spaniard lifts the rebound above the Milan goalkeeper into the roof of the net.
9. Dudek gets a helping hand from God after the goalkeeper denies Andriy Scvhchenko from point-blank range.
10. Schvchenko misses Milan’s fifth penalty to hand victory to Liverpool (and a fifth European Cup, for keeps!)
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news