Wenger replies when asked if Arsenal should have signed a new striker

Arsene Wenger insists that there were no top-class strikers available to Arsenal during the January transfer window

Transfer Agent
By Transfer Agent    

Arsene Wenger has rejected suggestions that he should have made a January transfer bid to sign a new striker for Arsenal.

The north London side brought in midfielder Mohamed Elneny from FC Basel as their only recruit last month as Wenger opted not to bolster his attacking options at Emirates Stadium.

They are all at big clubs and are under contract. There were none available

Arsene Wenger

Wenger watched his side play out a frustrating goalless draw with Southampton at The Emirates on Tuesday night as they were forced to settle for a point and dropped down into fourth place in the Premier League.

Arsenal have now gone three top-flight games without scoring a goal and Wenger was inevitably questioned about the Gunners’ attacking line-up after the final whistle.

But Wenger insisted that it would have been nearly impossible for him to bring in a top-class striker during the January transfer window.

Asked if he should have signed a forward last month, Wenger told his post-match news conference: “If you knew a world-class striker who could have strengthened our team, you should have told me before the transfer deadline was over.

“They do not walk in the street and say ‘please, here is a world-class striker, can you take me?’ They are all at big clubs and are under contract. There were none available.

“We have Theo Walcott, we have Olivier Giroud, we have Mesut Ozil, we have Alexis Sanchez, we have Danny Welbeck, who is coming back.

“If tonight we think a miracle man could have scored the goal for us, I think it’s better we think how can we score the goals with the players we have? We can score goals, we have shown that before.”

MORE: The latest Arsenal news and views

MORE: The latest Arsenal player tweets

Arsenal travel to Bournemouth on Sunday afternoon.

MORE: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among players out of contract in 2018

MORE: Seven reasons why Chelsea must keep Cesc Fabregas

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Back to The Sport Review homepage

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal latest news

MORE: Chelsea latest news

MORE: Liverpool latest news

The Sport Review
Top 50 most stylish footballers in the world in 2017: Chelsea, Arsenal stars feature – Slideshow
The Sport Review
20 Chelsea transfer targets Antonio Conte could sign in the summer
The Sport Review
Top 25 Muslim football players in Premier League: Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal WAGs 2017: Meet Granit Xhaka, Shkodran Mustafi and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s wives and girlfriends
The Sport Review
Roberto Firmino: 25 photos of the Liverpool forward’s stunning wife
The Sport Review
Top 40 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among 16 players out of contract in 2018
The Sport Review
Eden Hazard applauds Antonio Conte for dropping him to the Chelsea bench
The Sport Review
Gary Lineker reacts to Anthony Martial’s display in Man United’s 2-0 win at Burnley
The Sport Review
Fed Cup 2017: Watson and Konta beaten by Romania in bid for World Group place