10 facts you didn’t know about Real Madrid
Real Madrid Football Club is probably one of the biggest clubs in the world today, but how much do the fans of this iconic club really know? Here are just some of the few facts out there that might not be well known as of yet.
1. A Harvard University study on football showed that Real Madrid Football Club was the most popular team in the world, with a fan base of over 228 million supporters.
2. Real Madrid was voted by FIFA as the “most successful club of the 20th century”.
3. The club was founded at the hands of the British embassies alongside their arch rivals, FC Barcelona.
4. The most unforgettable match between Real Madrid and rivals FC Barcelona was probably the one that took place in 1943, where Real Madrid defeated Barcelona 11-1 after having lost 3-0 the previous match.
5. From the mid-1980’s onwards, Real Madrid bounced back from its lost grip on the La Liga title, with a generation of players nicknamed “La Quinta del Buitre” (Vulture’s Cohort), a name derived from one of its key members; Emilio Butrageno. They proceeded to win five leagues in a row, a feat that no other team has been able to repeat.
6. Alfredo Di Stefano, who was a striker for Real Madrid, is considered by some to be the best footballer of all time. Though others might disagree, he was said to be the key to making Real Madrid one of the biggest clubs in the world.
7. Real Madrid’s highest home attendance was durning a 2006 Copa del Ray match with a crowd of 83,329.
8. Since its foundation, only Spanish members were allowed to operate and run the club as President.
9. The rivalry with FC Barcelona extends deeper than just football history. If you dig deeper, you’ll find political views and country loyalty in the mix.
10. Real Madrid Football Club is the second richest in the world in terms of revenue and the second most valuable club in the world to date.