10 things you didn’t know about Andy Roddick
Currently ranked at number five in the world, Andy Roddick won a host of new fans with his valiant displays at Wimbledon, but the American will be turning his focus on the US Open as he looks to secure that second Grand Slam title.
With under two weeks until the tournament kicks off in New York, here are some facts you may not know about the 26-year-old.
10. When he was just 7-years-old, Roddick gave each one of his family members an autographed tennis ball.
9. Roddick reportedly first spotted his wife, Brooklyn Decker, when flipping through the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. He had his agent contact the fashion model right away to arrange a date. The couple married in April of this year.
8. It was in 2004 that Roddick produced the fastest serve in professional tennis at an amazing 249.5 km/h / 155 mph, during a Davis Cup match against Vladimir Voltchkov. Earlier in the same year, Roddick hit the fasted serve in US Open history at 244 km/h /152 mph.
7. In his last 55 matches, he has served a staggering 697 aces and won an astonishing 91% of his service games.
6. Back in 2006, he released his own cologne in association with Parlux Fragrances.
5. When he was a young child, Roddick signed his friend Garrett’s tennis bag. “Keep this,” he said. “One day I’ll be famous.”
4. In 2002, Roddick guest-starred on the television show Sabrina, the Teenage Witch as himself. In the episode, Sabrina summoned him so he could give her tennis lessons.
3. He has two brothers, one named John, who is a tennis coach and the other named Lawrence, who is a chiropractor.
2. In 2003, the year he won the US Open, he became the youngest American male tennis player ever to finish a year at number one in the world at 21-years and two-months old.
1. In July 2007, Roddick was featured on the front cover of Men’s Fitness magazine, but the image used appeared to have been ‘photoshopped’ to look more muscular. Roddick himself was suspicious and said that he had seen the issue and that “Nadal wanted his arms back.”