5 of the best… Football manager celebrations
Martin Palermo’s dramatic late winner against Peru on Saturday ensured that Argentina kept their World Cup hopes alive.
Their manager, Diego Maradona, has been under mounting pressure after a dismal qualifying campaign. However upon Palermo’s late strike, Maradona’s emotions went into overdrive as he flamboyantly celebrated his side’s late reprieve.
Here is TSR’s pick of the five best celebrations by various bosses.
1. Diego Maradona – Maradona has been subject to much criticism due to his teams failings. His role as manager may be laughable and his input questionable. But he still manages to entertain.
2. Jose Mourinho – It was the moment ‘the special one’ introduced himself to the English nation and in doing so gave fans a taster of what was to come. Costinha’s last minute equaliser ensured Porto’s passage into the quarter finals of the Champions Leage. Mourinho’s side would eventually win the competition.
3. Phil Brown – He is a manager who seems to revel in the spotlight. Hull City avoided relegation in their first season in the top flight. Despite losing to Manchester United on the final day of the season, the mood of the KC Stadium wasn’t dampened. Phil Brown took control of the microphone and treated the Tiger fans to some karoke.
4. Greame Souness – The intensity of Istanbul derbies are infamous. But that didn’t stop Souness marching out onto the pitch, waving a giant Galatasary flag and planting it firmly into the centre circle.
5. Alex Ferguson & Brian Kidd – It was the sign of things to come. Two late strikes from Steve Bruce ensured the inaugural Premiership trophy was heading to Old Trafford. Ferguson and Kidd celebrated aptly, rushing onto the pitch, hands in the air and leaping around like Christmas had come early.