Ronaldo, Drogba, Messi in Ballon d’Or shortlist
The shortlist of the ten nominees still in with a chance of scooping the 2009 Ballon d’Or award have been announced today.
The list, revealed in France Football magazine, includes the likes of Didier Drogba, Cristiano Ronaldo and Steven Gerrard.
But Argentina and Barcelona star Lionel Messi is the heavy favourite to win the award, with the ceremony taking place on Tuesday December 1.
2008 Ballon d’Or winner and World Footballer of the Year, Cristiano Ronaldo, will prove Messi’s closest competitor.
The Portuguese superstar played a significant part in retaining Manchester United’s Premier League title for a third successive season during 2008-09, and the world-record signing has been in unstoppable form for Real Madrid this term – scoring nine goals from just seven games in all competitions – until being forced out through injury in recent weeks.
The full list is as follows:
- Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast, Chelsea)
- Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon, FC Barcelona and Inter Milan)
- Steven Gerrard (England, Liverpool)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, Inter Milan and FC Barcelona)
- Andres Iniesta (Spain, FC Barcelona)
- Kaka (Brazil, Milan AC and Real Madrid)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina, FC Barcelona)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Manchester United and Real Madrid)
- Wayne Rooney (England, Manchester United)
- Xavi (Spain, FC Barcelona)