Five of the best… Sir Alex Ferguson quotes
With Sir Alex Ferguson’s recent comments regarding the fitness of a Premier League referee landing the United manager in hot water with the FA, The Sport Review selects five of the most memorable quotes that the Scot has uttered during his time at Old Trafford.
1. “My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f*****g perch. And you can print that.” (2003)
Ferguson was interviewed by the Guardian and was asked to comment on Alan Hansen’s suggestion that winning the 2002-03 would be his finest achievement. The Manchester United manager replied with a quote that has been reproduced onto various football memorabilia.
2. “They say he’s an intelligent man, right? Speaks five languages? I’ve got a 15-year-old boy from the Ivory Coast who speaks five languages!” (2003)
The United boss is less than impressed by the linguistic skills of Arsene Wenger.
3. “On you go. I’m not f****** talking to you. He’s a f****** great player. You are f******* idiots.” (2002)
An infuriated Ferguson angrily defends the reputation of his then record £28.5 million signing, Juan Sebastian Veron. It was a tirade which bore many similarities in content to Joe Kinnear last year.
4. “It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn’t happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!” (2003)
David Beckham established a new trend which was inspired by the accuracy or inaccuracy depending on the truth behind the words of Ferguson. The picture of Beckham sporting a plaster over his eyebrow made for big news in the British papers.
5. “The pace of the game demanded a referee who was fit. It is an indictment of our game. You see referees abroad who are as fit as butcher’s dogs. We have some who are fit. He wasn’t fit. He was taking 30 seconds to book a player. He was needing a rest. It was ridiculous.” (2009)
Ferguson is less than content with the perceived lack of fitness of Alan Wiley in United 2-2 draw with Sunderland this season.