Lionel Messi goals - Five of the best
Barcelona star Lionel Messi won the 2009 Ballon d’Or last week. The award is given to the European footballer of the year and the young Argentine was a worthy winner having helped guide Barcelona to a treble: La Liga, Copa del Rey and the Champions League in Rome.
Indeed he scored pivotal goals in all three competitions and was indispensable to Pep Guardiola during the pursuit of their trophy haul.
In honour of the Argentine, The Sport Review takes a look at Lionel Messi’s five best goals for both club and country.
1. Barcelona v Getafe – The famous goal that earned comparison to Diego Maradona’s iconic individual goal against England in the 1986 World Cup.
2. Barcelona v Real Madrid – Barcelona were losing 3-2 to Real Madrid in the El ClÃƒÂ¡sico. Messi leaves the Madrid defenders in his wake with just minutes to go in the match.
3. Argentina v Mexico – A delicate chip in the Copa America 2007.
4. Barcelona v Lyon – A mesmerising dribble and a neat one-two with Eto’o sees Messi score the third in Barcelona’s 5-2 demolition of Lyon.
5. Barcelona v Manchester United – A rare header seals victory against Manchester United in the Champions League final in Rome back in May.