Mourinho unhappy with Italian speculation
Jose Mourinho has hit out at his critics in the Italian media following Inter Milan’s 2-0 win over Rubin Kazan - a result that secured the Serie A side’s progression into the last 16 of the Champions League.
The former Chelsea boss reacted angrily to speculation in the Italian press that hinted his job would be at risk if his side didn’t overcome their Russian opponents on Wednesday night.
By beating Rubin Kazan, Mourinho’s men secured a second-place finish in Group F, with reigning champions Barcelona claiming the top spot.
Speaking after the match on Wednesday, Mourinho said: “Journalists don’t decide my future, ex-players don’t decide. If someone at the club with the authority decides, that’s fine with me.”
The 46-year-old went on to discuss which teams he would like to face ahead of the draw for the last 16.
“When last year I said I would have preferred to face Manchester United, I did not say that because they were European champions, but because it would have given my team an extra motivation to face such a side.
“This year we cannot face Barcelona. But there are two top English clubs, then there’s Real Madrid and Sevilla, who some may consider a weaker side but I believe it is a very difficult side to face. Bordeaux has done very well as well.
“I really don’t know which one I would prefer.”
Barcelona ensured their progression to the last 16 after coming from behind to beat Dynamo Kiev thanks to goals from Xavi and Lionel Messi.