F1 News: Alonso clarifies his European GP comments

By Gareth Llewellyn
The Sport Review rounds up all of the latest news from the world of Formula 1
fernando alonso

(Photo: Gregory Moine)

The Sport Review rounds up all of the latest news from the world of Formula 1.

Robert Kubica could stay at Renault for a second year despite his contract being up at the end of the season. Renault’s team principal Eric Bouillier has revealed there is no deadline on a decision. Kubica had been linked with a move to Ferrari and continues to be linked with a move to Mercedes to replace Michael Schumacher.

Former F1 driver Kimi Räikkönen could be the man to test Pirelli’s tyres ahead of the 2011 season. Pirelli -who will replace Bridgestone as F1’s tyre supplier from next year -are unable to use a current F1 driver, and will look to utilise Räikkönen’s experience in the sport as long as the testing fits in with his other race commitments.

Valmor Sport, the promoter of the European Grand Prix in Valencia, is considering making changes to the street circuit to aid overtaking after suffering more criticism following its third outing last week and will meet drivers at Silverstone next week to seek recommendations for the changes.

McLaren will finally reveal their version of Red Bull’s successful blown diffuser at the next race at Silverstone. Rivals Ferrari, Renault and Mercedes all introduced their own version in Valencia, while Red Bull’s chief designer Adrian Newey said there will be no significant upgrades to the RB6.

The FIA are to consider current safety car rules after criticism from a number of teams following punishments for incidents behind the safety car at the European Grand Prix. Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault were all scathing of the rules, with Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso sending a very emotional message to officials.

Peter Sauber, team boss of Sauber, says his signing of rookie Kamui Kobayashi has been vindicated following the Japanese driver’s eventful debut in F1 for Toyota at the end of 2009. “Signing a rookie is always something of a risk; on Sunday Kamui delivered confirmation that we made the right decision,” said Sauber.

And finally, Fernando Alonso has clarified his comments about the European Grand Prix after much criticism. The Ferrari driver had originally said that the race had been “manipulated” by race officials as McLaren rival Lewis Hamilton’s penalty was not sufficient to be seen as punishment.

On reflection, the Spaniard said: “At the time, I reacted emotionally and in that situation, it is all too easy to adopt a tone and say things that can be interpreted wrongly, giving rise to suspicions, something which I had no intention of doing.”

Rio Ferdinand
Rio Ferdinand: Chelsea FC have made the signing of the summer
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Man United could sign 33-year-old midfielder on a free transfer – report
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
‘It might happen’: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer delivers latest Man United transfer update
Jurgen Klopp
Jurgen Klopp replies when asked if new Liverpool FC signing could face Chelsea FC
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Piers Morgan (Photo: Piers Morgan / Twitter)
Piers Morgan reacts to Arsenal’s 2-1 win over West Ham United
Jurgen Klopp
Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea FC v Liverpool FC
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
Ian Wright
Ian Wright admits Mesut Ozil situation at Arsenal is ‘devastating’
Billie Jean King (Photo: Srdjan Stevanovic / ITF)
ITF announces that women’s tennis world cup to be renamed the Billie Jean King Cup
Gary Lineker
Gary Lineker reacts to Harry Kane’s display in Tottenham’s 5-2 win at Southampton