Sakon Yamamoto to race for Hispania in Belgium
Sakon Yamamoto will continue to drive for Hispania Racing alongside Bruno Senna at the Belgian Grand Prix next week.
The 28-year-old originally replaced Senna in the team back at Silverstone, but has stood in for Karun Chandhok in the last two races at Hockenheim and Budapest.
Chandhok had been expected to return to the car at Spa after Formula 1’s traditional summer break, but the team said on Friday that Yamamoto would continue to drive for now.
Yamamoto said: “I am looking forward to be back in action after the break. We will need a good speed in the fast corners and also a good downforce on the car. We expect that the track layout suits our car and we try to do our best again.”
Hispania have had a torrid time in F1 in their debut season and have recently favoured Yamamoto, who is believed to bring more sponsorship to the team ahead of the Indian Chandhok.
The Hispania could struggle on its first outing at the high-speed, medium-downforce Belgian circuit, and it would not be a surprise to see Senna and Yamamoto lapping some seven seconds off the lead runners.
Senna said: “I always look forward to Spa-Francorchamps and I’ve raced there every year since 2005. It is my favourite circuit of all the ones I’ve raced at and my first time there in a Formula 1 car will be very special for me.
“Spa is a medium downforce circuit and it demands a lot of high speed stability of the car, as the average speed of the corners is quite high. It will be very important to find a confidence-inspiring car balance to extract the best lap time possible.
“The downforce levels of the track are in line with what we have in our car and I have a good relationship with the circuit as well, so I am really looking forward to driving the car for the time.”