Sport’s psychic creatures - Five of the Best
Paul the Octopus gained worldwide acclaim after successfully predicting the outcome of each of Germany’s World Cup matches as well the final itself.
The Sport Reivew takes a look at five famous pyschic creatures to have made a name for themselves in the world of sport.
1. Paul the Octopus: The oracle octopus deserves to be on the list for his blemish-free record in South Africa. The sea creature has now retired from predicting matches after the owners of his aquarium stated: “He won’t give any more oracle predictions – either in football, or in politics, lifestyle or economy. Paul will get back to his former job, namely making children laugh.”
2. Princess the Camel: This 2,600lb American football expert correctly predicted 17 Philadelphia Eagles last season. Princess even guessed the Super Bowl result correctly.
However, following the signing of controversial quarter-back, Michael Vick, the camel is currently boycotting his duties. Vick was jailed for 18 months following his involement in a dog fighting ring.
3. Mani the Parakeet: Following the worldwide fame of Paul the Octopus, Singapore Zoo announced their very own oracle parakeet, Mani. The bird crept out from its cage and picked one of two cards during the South Africa tournament. However Mani’s reputation was left in tatters after predicting the Netherlands as World Cup winners.
4. Maggie the Monkey: This critter rose to fame after successfully predicting the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to be victorious over Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the 2003 Stanley Cup Play-Offs. ESPN producers even brought the monkey into their studios to predict results.
Maggie’s best year to date is 2009 when she correctly predicted 20 results out of 30 matches.
5. Rollo the Dog: The Premier League now has its very own psychic pet -a dachshund called Rollo. The three-year-old even has a Twitter account to publicise his predictions. Rollo will predict the result of the Super Sunday matches each weekend.
His season got off to turbulent start, however, after he predicted Arsenal to win their opening game of the season against Liverpool at Anfield.