Jordan: ‘Disillusioned’ Schumacher could quit F1

By Gareth Llewellyn
michael schumacher

michael schumacher

The Sport Review’s round-up of all of the very latest news from the world of Formula 1.

Eddie Jordan believes Michael Schumacher could walk away from F1 after becoming disillusioned with the sport since joining Mercedes GP. The German returned earlier this year but is now rumoured to be reconsidering his three-year deal. Jordan also notes an increase in activity involving managers of other drivers in the Mercedes motorhome in recent races as further proof that Schumacher could call time.

Organisers of the Australian Grand Prix have been criticised after it was revealed that the race incurred a massive financial loss. According to local reports, the cost to the Victorian taxpayer of hosting the race has increased 15-fold in the last 11 years, with the 2010 event costing the local government almost $50m.

Renault will hold a Roadshow in Seoul ahead of the inaugural Korean Grand Prix next month to introduce South Korea to the sights and sounds of F1 on a temporary circuit in the country’s capital. Chinese GP2 and Renault third driver, Ho-Pin Tung, will take the wheel of Renault’s R29.

Adrian Sutil believes his 2011 drive will be finalised within weeks. The Force India driver revealed earlier in the season that he had several options for next year, and in recent weeks has been linked with the second seat at Renault and as a replacement for Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.

Championship leader Mark Webber has revealed he will not ask for any help from Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel as he bids to win his first world championship. The Red Bull top brass said they would sit down and consider their options after Monza, with team orders effectively allowed while the regulation banning them is reviewed.

Paul di Resta could make it a trio of Brits on the grid next season alongside McLaren duo Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button after reports that Force India are considering promoting the Scot to replace the underperforming Vitantonio Liuzzi, or as a replacement for Adrian Sutil should he join Renault or Mercedes for 2011. Di Resta has already made several appearances for the team in Friday morning practice.

Former Renault team principal Flavio Briatore has denied reports that he could return to F1 next year with Pirelli. The Italian manufacturer will return to the sport as the sole tyre supplier, and the French media have suggested a deal could be in the pipeline, but the flamboyant Italian said: “Pirelli will be in F1 next year but I have no contact with them. Why? I don’t know, but not now, in another life perhaps.”

And finally…

Lotus team principal Tony Fernandes has revealed that “some very exciting announcements” will be made at the Singapore Grand Prix as the Hingham-based team steam ahead with preparations for 2011. The team are expected to confirm a new partnership with Renault as engine supplier, while a formal announcement will be made over the return of the historic Team Lotus brand in 2011.

MORE:

MORE: The latest football news

MORE: The latest tennis news

BIOGRAPHY: Mohamed Salah

The Sport Review
Grigor Dimitrov beats David Goffin to win his biggest title, ‘But I still have a lot to give’
The Sport Review
Top 50 most stylish footballers in the world in 2017: Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool stars feature
The Sport Review
Top 40 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Top 25 footballers’ cars: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Real Madrid players feature
The Sport Review
Top 20 Nigerian footballers in Premier League: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal player wages 2017: Do you know how much Xhaka, Ozil and Coquelin earn each week?
The Sport Review
Wenger makes admission about Sanchez’s future after Arsenal’s 2-0 win over Tottenham
The Sport Review
Jose Mourinho admits Man United star was ‘different class’ against Newcastle
The Sport Review
Thierry Henry rates Alexandre Lacazette’s display for Arsenal v Tottenham