Man United’s Wayne Rooney rubbishes transfer claims
Wayne Rooney has denied suggestions he signed a new deal to ensure Manchester United would receive the highest fee should the club decide to sell him.
Reports had suggested that United wanted the England international to sign his new five-year deal at Old Trafford so they could capitalise on a healthy transfer fee in the summer.
But Rooney, who penned the deal last month, said: “I read that I have agreed a new deal so that the club can agree a higher price with a different team somewhere down the line. It is a load of rubbish. I signed a new deal to stay here for the long-term future with Manchester United.”
The 25-year-old also dismissed claims of hostility from his team-mates in the wake of his statement in October which attacked the lack of world class players at United.
Rooney received a fairly warm reception from the Old Trafford crowd when he made his much-anticipated return to first team affairs against Wigan on Saturday.
But the striker, who joined Manchester United for £25.6m in 2005, admitted he had feared a hostile reaction from the United faithful ahead of Saturday’s clash.
“I would be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about the reaction from the fans,” he said. “I can understand their frustrations with the contract negotiations.
“It happened in the public eye, which made it difficult, and I did make the club aware of my concerns.
“But I always made it aware I wanted to be at this club and I am delighted my future is at United.”
Sir Alex Ferguson is expected to hand Rooney a place in the starting line-up for their mid-week Champions League trip to Ibrox to face Rangers on Wednesday.