Rafael BenÃƒÂtez denies he has been sacked by Inter Milan
Former Liverpool boss insists speculation that he has been axed by Serie A club is "not true"
Rafael BenÃƒÂtez says he has not been shown the door at Inter Milan despite widespread speculation suggesting that he had been sacked.
The Italian media has been awash with reports claiming that the former Liverpool manager has been axed by Inter president Massimo Moratti following a difficult start to his tenure at the San Siro.
Despite winning the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi on Saturday last season’s treble winners are languishing in seventh place in Serie A and are already 13 points behind leaders AC Milan.
But BenÃƒÂtez said on Monday: “I have not been sacked. I am quite surprised by some of the headlines I read in the papers. In fact, many people called me to ask whether I was sacked, but it is not true.”
Zenit St Petersburg boss Luciano Spaletti has been tipped as the man being lined up to replace BenÃƒÂtez but Moratti refused to comment in a statement on Inter’s website.
“I will not speak today,” said the Inter president. “I do not wish to create any controversies with anyone.”