Liverpool can cope with Lucas absence, insists Kenny Dalglish
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish backs his side to cope with the absence of Lucas Leiva for the rest of the season
Kenny Dalglish is convinced Liverpool have enough quality cover to cope without Lucas Leiva for the rest of the season after the Brazilian was ruled out with a knee injury.
The 24-year-old midfielder was carried off on a stretcher during the Reds’ Carling Cup triumph over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and it was later confirmed that he will require surgery on an anterior cruciate ligament problem.
But Dalglish, who has since recalled Jonjo Shelvey from a loan spell at Blackpool to add to his options in midfield, is backing his side to cope with the Brazilian’s prolonged absence, adding that captain Steven Gerrard is nearing a return.
“It’s a huge disappointment for everybody, but more importantly for Lucas,” Dalglish told a news conference on Friday.
“He’s had the scan, they’ll assess it and decide which is the best place is for him to go and where he is most comfortable in and then they’ll go and do what they have to do.
“He’s been playing well for us but it is just part and parcel of football.
“We’ve called Jonjo back from Blackpool just to give us a bit of cover and we’ve got plenty of people in and around the place.
“We’re not the only club that’s got an injury. We’ve said we’ve got a strong squad and things like this are unfortunately when you get tested. We’ve been happy with the squad – I think the results so far reflect that.
“Steven [Gerrard] is still progressing really well, without putting a date on when he’ll be back, so we’ve just got to manage it. At the same time, we’ve got a great deal of sympathy for Lucas.”
Quizzed on whether he would consider bringing in new faces in January to help ease the injury problems, Dalglish added: “We’ve got adequate replacements and if we need somebody we’ll have a look, but I don’t think we need anybody.”