Vertonghen’s move to Tottenham held up by minor details – De Boer
Ajax boss Frank de Boer reveals a "few minor details" are holding up Jan Vertonghen's move to Tottenham Hotspur
Frank de Boer has revealed only “a few minor details” are preventing Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen from completing his move to Tottenham Hotspur.
The 25-year-old centre-half has scored seven goals in 220 appearances for Ajax and skippered the club to their second successive league title last term, picking up the Eredivisie Player of the Season award for his contribution to the Dutch club’s successful campaign.
The Belgium international has been heavily linked with a move to Spurs in recent weeks, with the north London club appointing Andre Villas-Boas as Harry Redknapp’s successor last Tuesday.
Manager De Boer said Vertonghen was left out of Ajax’s squad for their pre-season fixture against FC Emmen because the Belgium international’s focus was on his potential move to White Hart Lane.
“Jan has his head in London, so we sent him home,” De Boer told Telesport. “He is only waiting on a few minor details before he gets the green light.”
The defender’s move has been held up by a disagreement with the Dutch club over his share of the transfer fee, with his agent revealing earlier on Saturday that talks were ongoing with the Eredivisie champions to find a solution.
“We have nothing [agreed] at this moment. They [the talks] were not easy but we are going to try again,” said Vertonghen’s agent Mustapha Nakhli.
Villas-Boas completed his first signing as Spurs boss on Wednesday, with Iceland midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson completing his £8m move from Hoffenheim to Tottenham.