The Red Devils had a bid rebuffed for the 19-year-old Brazil international in July before PSG entered the race for his signature.
Now, Lucas has revealed he has spoken to his compatriots Thiago Silva and Leonardo (PSG’s director of football) and says talks over a potential move to Paris are “well under way”.
“I talked to Thiago Silva and Leonardo, they said many good things about the club, the project they are implementing there. Talks are well under way, but not done yet,” Lucas told Globo Esporte.
“I will stay at Sao Paulo until the end of the year. I have always said that I want to win a title and qualify for the Copa Libertadores before leaving.
“If the transfer happens in January, I’ll be able to do that for Sao Paulo. For now, I’m focused on the national team, though. I can only say something after the Olympics.”
On Tuesday, Sao Paulo’s vice-president Joao Paulo de Jesus Lopes revealed the Brazilian club had been contacted by PSG over the possibility of signing Lucas.
“We have been probed by PSG about Lucas,” he said. “[PSG director of football] Leonardo has a very good relationship with Sao Paulo. But for now nothing is definite.
“The possibility exists but it is down to the player’s interests. The policy of Sao Paulo is to follow the desires of the player.
“If the player wishes to leave, Sao Paulo will not create any obstacle. But we must receive a proposal that is appropriate.
“It’s a financial issue. Paris Saint-Germain is a big club in European football and if the player’s interests and also the club’s are met, I do not see why it would not happen.”
Lucas has scored 26 goals in 104 appearances for Sao Paulo since making his debut for the Brazilian outfit in 2010.
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news