Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers keen to hand Suso new deal
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is keen to tie down highly-rated Spanish youngster Suso to a new deal
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool plan to offer Suso a new deal after the youngster’s impressive start to the season.
The 18-year-old featured in the Reds’ 5-2 victory over Norwich City on Saturday before being substituted in the 59th minute.
Suso also came on at half-time in Liverpool’s 2-1 defeat by Manchester United – and with his current deal set to expire next summer, Rodgers is keen to offer the playmaker a new contract.
“He’s in the last year of his contract, and it’s something we will look at,” said Rodgers.
“We did have a couple of offers for Suso in the summer, but I always said I didn’t want him to go.
“I felt we had a very good young player so let’s keep him here and we will see where he is in a couple of years.
“We had offers for him to go abroad but he was keen to stay, he understood he was going to get a chance here.
“He is tactically very good, strong technically with the ball. He makes things happen. I love that type of player. Talent finds space. He is a real talent.
“He is in the reckoning and he is a good kid as well. I have noticed a big progression in him from the pre-season tour of America – I have seen a real difference in the last couple of months and he has got a good appetite for the game.
“He is on the same page in terms of the tactical idea for the team. If his fight matches his talent we will have a very good player.”