Man United’s Anderson wary of Newcastle threat on counter-attack
Anderson admits Manchester United must avoid allowing Newcastle to catch them on the break at St James' Park on Sunday
Anderson admits he is wary of the threat that Newcastle pose on the counter-attack ahead of Manchester United’s trip to St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s men travel to the north-east looking to bounce back after suffering a surprise 3-2 defeat at the hands of Tottenham Hotspur last weekend at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils will be eager to keep pace with derby rivals Manchester City following the Citizens’ 3-0 win over Sunderland on Saturday – but Anderson is taking nothing for granted ahead of Sunday’s clash.
“Newcastle have some very good players and we know they can be dangerous if the ball’s high up the pitch,” Anderson told United’s website.
“We must try to keep the ball and not give away many fouls or throw-ins because if they counter-attack, they can score.”
The Brazilian netted his first goal in almost a year last month when he scored to help United to a 2-1 League Cup victory over Newcastle – and Anderson admits it was a relief to find the net again.
“As everyone knows, it was a long time since I had last scored,” Anderson told ManUtd.com, casting his mind back to Norwich in October 2011.
“So my goal against Newcastle was good for a beginning, a good start, for this season. It wasn’t a classic Brazilian goal, it was more like an English goal – a shot from outside the box. I had a look and tried a shot, it was a great strike.
“I think Rafael is going to win [Goal of the Month] though, because his was a nice goal [at Anfield], it was class. His one looked like a Brazilian goal!”