Arsene Wenger: I’m surprised Rafael Benítez took the Chelsea job
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits his surprise at seeing Rafael Benítez take over from Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea
Arsene Wenger has admitted his surprise at seeing Rafael Benítez announced as Roberto Di Matteo’s successor at Chelsea so quickly after the Italian’s sacking.
The Spaniard was confirmed as the Blues’ new interim boss until the end of the season on Wednesday following Di Matteo’s dismissal earlier in the day.
“That’s a surprise because Rafael Benítez is a guy who has a record, who is a manager of stature and it is a surprise that he is appointed for such a short time. I’m surprised that he accepted [the job],” said Wenger.
The Arsenal boss also said he was “very sad” to see Di Matteo given his marching orders after leading Chelsea to an FA Cup and Champions League double during his 262-day reign at Stamford Bridge.
“I find it surprising and very sad,” said the Arsenal boss. “I believe that it’s important on our side to show loyalty.
“Di Matteo has come in, in a difficult situation and he has won the Champions League. He has won the FA Cup. He has done well and he wasn’t given any time at all this season.
“It’s a complete surprise to me. I followed the newspapers a little bit at the start of the week, and I thought you were wrongly informed and once again, I have to say you were well informed. It’s a complete surprise and it’s very sad news.”