Fifa Puskás Award 2012: Newcastle’s Hatem Ben Arfa shortlisted
Fifa Puskás Award 2012: Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa is the only Premier League player nominated for goal of the year award
Hatem Ben Arfa is the only Premier League representative nominated for Fifa’s annual Puskás award for the best goal of the year.
The Newcastle midfielder has been named on the 10-goal shortlist for his stunning mazy run through the Blackburn Rovers rearguard and composed finish during a 2-1 FA Cup win for Alan Pardew’s men at St James’ Park back in January.
The Frenchman faces stiff competition for the award from the likes of three-time Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi and last year’s recipient Neymar.
Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao also makes the cut for his stunning overhead kick from a corner against America de Cali.
Fans have until 29 November to vote for their favourite strike on the Fifa website, with the winner set to be announced at the Ballon d’Or gala in Zurich on 7 January.
Fifa Puskás Award 2012: Top 10 goals of the year
1. Hatem Ben Arfa – Newcastle v Bolton
2. Gaston Maella – Nacional Potosi v The Strongest
3. Radamel Falcao – Atletico Madrid v America de Cali
4. Olivia Jimenez – Mexico v Switzerland
5. Lionel Messi – Argentina v Brazil
6. Moussa Sow – Fenerbahce v Galatasaray
7. Miroslav Stoch – Fenerbahce v Genclerbirligi
8. Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu – Ghana v Guinea
9. Eric Hassli – Vancouver v Toronto
10. Neymar – Santos v Internacional