Neil Warnock: QPR owner Tony Fernandes may regret sacking me
Neil Warnock believes QPR were wrong to sack him earlier in January after his successor's reign came to an end on Friday
Neil Warnock believes Queens Park Rangers were wrong to sack him after his successor’s reign came to an end on Friday.
The 63-year-old lead QPR to promotion to the Premier League in 2011, but the Leeds United manager was sacked by the west London club in January.
Mark Hughes replaced Warnock and led the Hoops to a 17th-place finish, but the Welshman was sacked on Friday after failing to register a single victory in QPR’s opening 12 games, leaving the club in 20th.
And Warnock believes QPR’s majority owner Tony Fernandes may regret terminating his contract after Hughes’ disastrous reign.
“I have to admit there have been times this year when I have had to bite my tongue. I kept hearing the team were playing well without getting the results they deserved: so were mine but we did win away from home three times,” Warnock told the Independent.
“There was also the comment at the end of last season when my successor said after coming 17th, the same position I left them in, ‘we won’t be in this position again’. Unfortunately he was proved right; QPR have not been that high since.
“Having kept QPR up I planned to retire and hand the reins over to someone else for a smooth transition. It is easy to look back in hindsight but I think Tony might now reflect and feel that would have been a better way to proceed.”