The 22-year-old’s future at the Citizens appears to be in doubt after a very public confrontation with Roberto Mancini at the City training ground last week.
The Citizens manager played down the incident, but doubts continue to linger over the Italy international’s long-term future at the defending Premier League champions.
Napoli manager Mazzarri, whose side are currently in third position in Serie A, has expressed an interest in working with the former Internazionale striker despite the forward’s controversial past.
“Only those who know him well can say what kind of problems he might create in training,” Mazzarri told La Repubblica.
“I’ve got a bit of experience, though, and it would be stimulating to work with a talent like his.”
On Tuesday, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis also admitted an interest in partnering Balotelli with the club’s prolific Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani.
“City are considering letting Balotelli go so they can move for Cavani? I would prefer to see Balotelli playing with Cavani here at Napoli,” De Laurentiis told Gazzetta.it.
“Teams tend to hold onto their best players in January. You take a big risk making big investments now.”
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news