Chelsea transfers: Blues deny Frank Lampard contract talks
Chelsea transfers: Blues deny reports claiming that they are in talks with Frank Lampard over a new contract
Chelsea have denied that they are in talks with Frank Lampard over a new contract for the midfielder, with the club’s chief executive Ron Gourlay insisting he was misquoted at a news conference on Tuesday.
Lampard’s future has been the subject of constant speculation in recent weeks, with the 34-year-old’s current deal set to expire in the summer.
It is understood that there has still been no formal offer of a new deal for the England international, with the MLS and the Far East touted as possible destinations for the midfielder.
“I am not prepared to discuss this at this time,” Gourlay told a news conference on Tuesday.
“Obviously conversations must remain confidential between the club and the players at all times so that is as much as I can say.”
Lampard, who has been at Stamford Bridge for 12 years, has been in fine form of late, scoring 11 goals in his last 19 appearances for club and country.
Last week, Lampard’s uncle Harry Redknapp said that he expects the midfielder to stay at Chelsea beyond the summer.
“I still think Frank will be at Chelsea next year,” said Redknapp last Friday. “That’s my gut feeling.
“If he doesn’t, then there will be a whole host of top clubs in England and the rest of the world to take him. I’d be very surprised if he’s not there next season.”