Cristiano Ronaldo would ‘love’ to score against Manchester United
Cristiano Ronaldo has declared that he would "love" to score against Manchester United when he returns to Old Trafford with Real Madrid
Cristiano Ronaldo has declared that he would “love” to score against Manchester United when he returns to Old Trafford with Real Madrid on Tuesday.
Los Blancos head into the Champions League last-16 second leg following their 1-1 draw against the Red Devils at the Bernabeu last month.
Ronaldo’s header earned Jose Mourinho’s men a draw in that game after Danny Welbeck had opened the scoring in the Spanish capital.
And Ronaldo, who spent six seasons at United, insists that it would be “specular” to find the net against his former club.
“It would be a beautiful sensation. If I score against them, it would be spectacular,” said Ronaldo.
“I can’t say how I’d celebrate — it would be something spontaneous — but I’d love to be in that situation.”
Meanwhile, Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick admits he is relishing Tuesday night’s European showdown.
“These are the nights you live for,” he said. It is extra special. There is just something in the air. Everyone comes to the stadium with a spring in their step.
“Every supporter is that little bit more vocal. They appreciate how important it is and what it means to get through.”
Manchester United v Real Madrid: Pre-match facts
• The Brazilian Ronaldo struck a hat-trick in the Old Trafford return 10 seasons ago, leaving the pitch to applause from the home supporters who then saw United fight back to win 4-3 through two goals from substitute David Beckham. Van Nistelrooy and Iván Helguera (own goal) also found the net.
• George Best got the only goal of the teams’ 1967-68 semi-final first leg at Old Trafford. United then battled back from 3-1 behind to draw 3-3 in Madrid and went on to lift the trophy for the first time.
• Cristiano Ronaldo scored the only goal when Madrid last won in England, 1-0 at Tottenham Hotspur in the 2010-11 quarter-finals.
• Mourinho has faced United twice before at this stage of the Champions League, starting with Porto’s success in the 2003-04 round of 16 en route to winning the trophy.
• Mourinho’s Inter Milan lost to United in the 2008-09 last 16. After a goalless first leg, Inter succumbed 2-0 at Old Trafford, Nemanja Vidić and Ronaldo scoring.