F1 testing: Vettel fourth-quickest as Lotus’s Grosjean sets the pace
F1 testing: Sebastian Vettel is fourth quickest in Barcelona as Romain Grosjean sets the pace at a wet Circuit de Catalunya
Sebastian Vettel’s penultimate day of winter testing was something of a mixed bag as poor weather caused delays to the Red Bull driver’s runs in the morning.
The defending world champion ended up posting the fourth-quickest time at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya, as Lotus’s Romain Grosjean set the pace on a rain-interrupted second day of testing, ahead of McLaren’s Jenson Button.
“I didn’t do that many laps today, but to be honest the weather wasn’t great and it was a pretty rough day in terms of the wind,” said Vettel.
“It’s very cold as well. The tyres aren’t really working properly and I think everybody is suffering the same problem, struggling to make the tyres last for more than a lap.
“It’s difficult to compare things you are testing and also to compare yourself to others.”
Final pre-season test – Fastest times
1. Romain Grosjean (Fra) Lotus-Renault 1:22.716
2. Jenson Button (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1:23.181
3. Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams-Renault 1:23.628
4. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull-Renault 1:23.743
5. Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Sauber-Ferrari 1:23.744
6. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Mercedes 1:24.215
7. Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:25.483
8. Max Chilton (GB) Marussia-Cosworth 1:25.598
9. Giedo van der Garde (Ned) Caterham-Renault 1:26.316
10. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes 1:26.655
11. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 1:27.878