Malaysian Grand Prix 2013: Vettel edged out by Raikkonen in practice
Malaysian Grand Prix 2013: Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen edges out Sebastian Vettel to top the timesheets in second practice
Kimi Raikkonen edged out Sebastian Vettel to top the timesheets in second practice at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
The Lotus driver, who won last weekend’s season-opening race in Melbourne, was just 0.019 of Red Bull’s defending world champion at Sepang.
The Ferraris of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso were third and fourth, while Red Bull’s Mark Webber was fifth from Lotus’s Romain Grosjean.
Jenson Button continued to struggle in his McLaren, ending the second practice session in 12th place.
Vettel said: “I think it was unusual today as in the second session one part of the track was pretty wet and the other was dry – but it all dried out quite fast, as it was so hot.
“This afternoon we couldn’t do so much due to the weather, but this morning it looked OK, although the tyres don’t last very long! We need to try a couple of things now overnight to improve and take a step forwards.”
Webber added: “It was a pretty smooth run for us today, but we need to improve and keep finding pace. The slicks were not too bad in those conditions and the crossover point looks quite interesting.”
Malaysian Grand Prix 2013: Second practice times
1. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin), Lotus – 1 minute, 36.569 seconds
2. Sebastian Vettel (Ger), Red Bull – 1:36.588
3. Felipe Massa (Brz), Ferrari – 1:36.661
4. Fernando Alonso (Spa), Ferrari – 1:36.985
5. Mark Webber (Aus), Red Bull – 1:37.026
6. Romain Grosjean (Fra), Lotus – 1:37.206
7. Nico Rosberg (Ger), Mercedes – 1:37.448
8. Paul di Resta (GB), Force India – 1:37.571
9. Lewis Hamilton (GB), Mercedes – 1:37.574
10. Adrian Sutil (Ger), Force India – 1:37.788
11. Sergio Perez (Mex), McLaren – 1.37.838
12. Jenson Button (GB), McLaren, 1:37.865
13. Nico Hulkenberg (Ger), Sauber, 1.38.068
14. Esteban Gutierrez (Mex), Sauber, 1.38.645
15. Jean-Eric Vergne (Fra), Toro Rosso – 1.38.738
16. Pastor Maldonado (Ven), Williams – 1:38.801
17. Daniel Ricciardo (Aus), Toro Rosso – 1.38.904
18. Jules Bianchi (Fra), Marussia, 1.39.508
19. Valtteri Bottas (Fin), Williams – 1.39.660
20. Charles Pic (Fra), Caterham – 1.40.757
21. Giedo van der Garde (Ned), Caterham – 1.40.768
22. Max Chilton (GB), Marussia – 1.41.438