Man United’s Rio Ferdinand explains decision to pull out of England squad
Rio Ferdinand pulls out of Roy Hodgson's squad for England's forthcoming qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro
Rio Ferdinand has pulled out of the England squad for the forthcoming 2014 World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro.
The 34-year-old received his first Three Lions call-up since June 2011 last week after Roy Hodgson left the Manchester United defender out of his Euro 2012 squad.
Ferdinand, who met with Hodgson on Sunday, has ruled himself out due to training arrangements which the centre-half must follow to deal with a long-standing back problem.
“I’m disappointed Rio will not be available, but due to the detailed pre-planned training and medical programme he must follow it’s not possible,” said Hodgson.”
“I was pleased that Rio called and asked to meet with me. It was important to hear from him personally about the way he must manage his body between games.
“This is not to say he cannot play back-to-back games – he can and has proven so. He’s out this time due to particular pre-planned details already in place for his programme.”
Meanwhile, Ferdinand, who has 81 caps, emphasised his desire to continue to be available for England selection in the future despite withdrawing on this occasion.
“It was important for me to be able to speak with Roy face to face and explain the situation, and one thing I made clear was that my passion and commitment to represent my country is as strong as ever,” said the Red Devils centre-half.
“It is disappointing that I won’t be able to play a part in the upcoming games but I told Roy that I want to continue to be available for England and I look forward to working with him in the future.”