Dietmar Hamann tells Liverpool to accept Luis Suárez ban & move on
Dietmar Hamann believes it is "pointless" for Liverpool to be arguing about the length of Luis Suárez's ban and urges club to move on
Dietmar Hamann believes it is “pointless” for Liverpool to be arguing about the length of Luis Suárez’s ban for biting Branislav Ivanović.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers said he was “bitterly disappointed” with the FA’s decision to hand the striker a 10-game suspension following the incident in Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Chelsea at Anfield.
Liverpool have until midday on Friday to appeal the ruling, which potentially rules the forward out of action until October.
But former Reds midfielder Hamann, who spent seven years on Merseyside, has urged the club to accept the decision and move on.
“Suárez was always going to get six games plus,” Hamann wrote Twitter.
“Would it not have sent out a stronger message if the club suspended him for two weeks? It would show him and everybody else who plays for the club in the future what LFC is all about – respect and dignity.
“If you think Suárez is victimised by the FA, don’t forget he wasn’t told to bite Ivanović.
“[It’s] pointless arguing about the length of the ban. Suárez got eight games last year and he was always going to get more for that. Accept it and get on with it.
“I support and respect LFC. I’m not slamming the club but the conduct of one of its employees.”