Chelsea target Radamel Falcao looks set to join Monaco
Chelsea look set to miss out on Radamel Falcao this summer after Monaco confirmed they expect to sign the prolific striker
Chelsea look set to miss out on Radamel Falcao this summer after Monaco confirmed they expect to sign the prolific Colombian striker.
Falcao has been heavily linked with a move away from Atletico Madrid in recent months after scoring 28 goals in 33 league games this season.
Chelsea and Manchester have both been linked with the 27-year-old forward but it now appears he is set to join Ligue 2 champions Monaco, along with “four or five” other players.
“Yes, we are expecting Falcao and four or five other players of his quality,” Monaco assistant coach Jean Petit told Radio RCN.
“We have spoken and we continue to speak with Falcao and his representatives, negotiations are ongoing. We hope to seal a deal as soon as possible.
“Monaco need a player like Falcao because he can help us a lot and because he can attract other top players, and that’s the best way of confirming our project is big and interesting. Signing Falcao is a big coup, on sporting and media levels, for French football.
“As a footballer Falcao has everything. He has technique, good control of the ball and scores a lot of goals. We saw it here in Monaco in the [European] Super Cup final [against Chelsea] and we were impressed and surprised by his performance and clinical finishing. President [Dmitry] Rybolovlev likes Falcao a lot.”
Falcao, whose Atletico contract expires in 2016, insisted he was ignoring the speculation over his future when quizzed by reporters last week.
“I don’t know anything,” he said on Friday. “I keep myself apart of what is being said. If it was for the press, I have already been transferred to all the teams in Europe, like Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United.
“I don’t find true any news that is being said about me.”