Chelsea transfers: Atletico vow to support Radamel Falcao decision
Chelsea transfers: Atletico Madrid vow to back any decision Radamel Falcao makes about his future this summer
Atletico Madrid have vowed to back any decision Chelsea target Radamel Falcao makes about his future, the La Liga club’s general manager Miguel Angel Gil Marin has revealed.
Chelsea are among the list of top European clubs reported to be keeping tabs on the prolific Colombian forward, who has scored 28 goals in 33 league games for Atletico this season.
The 27-year-old, who has also been linked with Manchester City, Manchester United and Monaco in recent months, hit a stunning first-half hat-trick against Chelsea as Atletico beat the Blues to the Uefa Super Cup crown back in August.
Now, with Atletico having secured a third-place finish in the Spanish league and a direct route into next season’s Champions League, Marin has promised to support the decision of the forward should he choose to quit the club this summer.
“Before the start of the season we talked with [Falcao] and we promised him if he keeps the same performance and he helps us to arrive to the Champions League next season, Atletico will help you,” Marin is quoted as saying by BBC Sport. “Every decision he will take, Atletico will be with him.
“Atletico knows how to change the good striker: Fernando Torres, [Diego] Forlan, [Sergio] Aguero, now Falcao.
“I don’t know exactly which will be the next one, but you can be sure Atletico will have a strong team next season.”
Falcao, whose contract expires in 2016, insisted he was ignoring the speculation over his future when quizzed by reporters last week.
“I don’t know anything,” he said on Friday. “I keep myself apart of what is being said. If it was for the press, I have already been transferred to all the teams in Europe, like Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United.
“I don’t find true any news that is being said about me.”