WTA Eastbourne 2013: Baltacha thrilled with form despite loss
WTA Eastbourne 2013: Elena Baltacha says she is thrilled with her preparation ahead of SW19 despite a second-round loss
Elena Baltacha admitted she couldn’t have asked for better preparation ahead of Wimbledon despite losing to Maria Kirilenko at Eastboune.
The British No3 was narrowly beaten 4-6 6-4 6-3 by her Russian opponent, ranked tenth in the world, in the second round at Devonshire Park.
The 29-year-old, who has been granted a wildcard at Wimbledon, won Aegon Nottingham Challenge last week – her first title since recovering from a serious ankle injury.
And despite losing to sixth seed Kirilenko, Baltacha was thrilled to claim the Nottingham crown and reach the second round at Eastbourne ahead of her Wimbledon challenge.
“Eight weeks ago, if someone would have said to me that you’re going to win Nottingham and then you’re going to get a shot at Kirilenko second round of Eastbourne, I don’t think I would have believed them,” said Baltacha.
“I think what I have done in the last two to three months is actually quite amazing really.
“I couldn’t have asked for better prep going into Wimbledon. I play well on the grass and hopefully if I get a decent draw, I can do a bit of damage there.”
Baltacha, currently ranked 185 in the world, is hoping for a kind Wimbledon draw on Friday, but regardless of her opponent, is relishing the chance to continue her grass-court form.
“I’m excited about the Wimbledon draw which comes out on Friday,” she added.
“There are a couple of players that I’d like to avoid, to be honest, but whatever my fate is, that’s it.”