Ashes 2013: Nick Compton hits out at England selectors
Ashes 2013: Nick Compton hits out at the England selectors after being dropped for the upcoming series against Australia
Nick Compton has hit out at the England selectors’ decision to drop him from the team, claiming he was denied “a fair crack of the whip” ahead of the upcoming Ashes series.
Compton, who made 79 for Worcestershire against Australia at New Road on Wednesday, was dropped by England for their warm-up games against Essex and has since been replaced at the top of the Test order by Joe Root.
And the former opening-batsman admitted that he has been left frustrated by his omission from the squad ahead of the opening Test at Trent Bridge.
“I don’t feel that I had a fair crack of the whip,” said Compton, who responded to his axing last week by making 81 and 34 for Somerset against the Australians at Taunton last week.
“I don’t know where things stand to be honest. I got told I had been dropped. Your guess is as good as mine.
“People doubted me when I got picked for England; people doubted me in India; they doubted me when I got nought in New Zealand and then I scored two hundreds but they even doubted me after that series,” he said.
“I feel like this was a very good response actually. Time and time again I get asked to make responses and I feel like I do that every single time.
“[England team director] Andy Flower said go away and score runs. I have done that. How many runs is scoring runs?”
But despite his disappointment, Compton still believe that he still has an international future, and reiterated his desire to fight for his place in the England team.
“I’m certainly not going to lose hope of playing in an Ashes series. It’s a dream of mine and something I’ve worked very hard to achieve.”